Vishu Sadhya Recipes

Vishu Recipes

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Paruppu Rasam

Paruppu Rasam Recipe
 Rasam is one of the staple food at my home and MIL space and forms part of the daily meals. For my dad, without 'rasam' his meals will not be complete, so my mom prepares it daily. But still i don't prefer to have it and finishes my meal with just sambar and curd. Though i know the goodness of rasam, i never have it. That's because whenever i have fever my mom gives me rasam kanji, and you may know the reason now...,

Paruppu Rasam
But after marriage things have changed and my tastes also and i do prepare rasam atleast during weekends.
My usual one is tomato rasam with lots of pepper and garlic. I rarely prepare varieties in rasam, and this paruppu rasam is one among them.  It was quite a comforting lunch. Here comes the recipe..

Paruppu Rasam  Recipe - Ingredients:
Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Recipe cuisine: South Indian | Category: Side dish

Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Tamarind  - 1 gooseberry sized ball
Green chili - 1
Garlic - 2-3 cloves
Ginger  - small piece
Tomato - 1
Coriander  - 2 tsp
Turmeric - a pinch
Salt to taste

To roast and grind:
Jeera/ cumin seeds  -  1 tsp
Pepper - 1 tsp

To temper:
Oil   - 1 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Hing/asafoetida  - a pinch

Method:
1. Soak the tamarind in hot water, extract the juice and keep aside. Dry roast the jeera and pepper until nice aroma arises. Cool down, grind it coarsely and keep aside. Pressure the toor dal and mash with boiled
water.
 

2. Heat oil in a kadai and splutter ingredients under ' to temper. Add green chili, garlic, ginger and chopped tomatoes. Saute for a while.
 

3. Add the tamarind juice and bring to boil until the raw smell leaves. Now add the dal along with water.
 

4. Throw in the jeera and pepper along with salt and turmeric and allow it to boil for a min or two.
 

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot rice or have as it is.
Paruppu Rasam

My Notes:

  • Don't allow the rasam to boil for more time as it will loose it's taste and turn bitter. 
  • I do add ginger and garlic in all type of  rasam's.


3 comments:

Hi Friends! Thank you all for visiting my blog. Without your comments and suggestions nothing is complete which is highly appreciable.
Thank You!!