Happy Maha Sivarathiri!!
Ari Payasam is a popular recipe of Kerala and this payasam is believed to be the favorite of Lord Krishna. Paal Payasam is one of the popular prasadham of Guruvayoor temple. Ari payasam is traditionally made with raw red rice / matta raw rice (broken) which is cooked in milk and sugar.
When made in temple they do not add any flavors like cardamon or ghee , but still it tastes divine with the matta rice flavor. For me payasam's cannot be made without ghee and elachi so added a little of it to my payasam.
Ari Paal Payasam Recipe - Ingredients:
Cooking time: 30 mins | Recipe Cuisine : South Indian | Recipe Category: Dessert | Serves: 3
Matta raw rice/ Red rice(broken) - 1/2 cup
Water to cook the rice - 1 1/2 cups
Milk - 3 cups
Water - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Condensed milk - 3 tbsp (optional)
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Cashews - 5 broken
Raisins - 8
Cardamon powder - a pinch
1. Wash and soak the rice for 30 mins. Pressure cook the rice for 3 whistles with 1 1/2 cup water.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and fry the cashews and raisins until golden brown and keep aside.
3. Bring the milk and water to boil and add sugar.
4. Add the rice and mix well without any lumps. Simmer for 7 -8 mins until the milk reduces.
5. Add the condensed milk (if adding) at this stage and simmer for further 3-5 mins.
6. Finally add the elachi powder, ghee, nuts and raisins and switch off.
- Even without adding ghee and cardamon this payasam will tastes good.
- Use the red raw rice to get the exact flavor of the payasam.
- Soaking will help the rice to get cook well.